Carolina Center for Public Service Work-study position
Gain valuable skills while working with cooperative, team-oriented staff and student leaders in engaging and supporting the faculty, students and staff of UNC in meeting the needs of North Carolina and beyond through public service and community engagement. The following position is available for students who have work-study packages for the 2015-16 academic year. Eligible students may begin applying online Aug. 3. https://unc.studentemployment.ngwebsolutions.com
Student Programs Assistant II (ID #4516), S2 level: $8.30-$10.05, Location: Student Union office.
- Assist Buckley Public Service Scholars (BPSS) program
- Respond to participant inquiries
- Assist with program publication data collection
- Train participants in database entries
- Data entry experience preferred
- Knowledge of BPSS program required
Carolina Center for Public Service Lead Graduate Assistant
The lead graduate assistant position for Buckley Public Service Scholars program is classified as part-time EPA student, reports to the program officer for student programs and is open to UNC graduate and professional students. To the degree that the assistantship can be structured to meet any requirements of the individual’s degree program, we will work with the person hired to do so. For more information on the Center and its programs, please ccps.unc.edu.
- Facilitate orientation sessions for new participants with support of undergraduate student leaders
- Assist in the selection and hiring process for 10 BPSS graduate assistants who offer skills trainings and respond to graduating senior reflections
- Organize graduate student panels on “Public service and graduate school” for program participants
- Coordinate the senior reflection review process
- Assist in assessment and evaluation of BPSS program components
- Organize annual graduate and professional student networking event for CCPS
- Assist with special opportunities offered by the program (i.e. NC Outward Bound scholarships and First-Year Service Corps)
- Plan and facilitate focus groups with enrolled seniors who do not complete the program with special emphasis on underrepresented groups within the graduating population
- Provide supplemental support and publicity for other CCPS programs with focus on programs connected to graduate and professional students
- Attend bi-weekly CCPS staff meetings as available
Enrollment in a UNC-Chapel Hill graduate or professional program and an interest in service-learning and civic engagement are required. Experience with nonprofit organizations, familiarity with group facilitation, program evaluation and student leadership development is preferred. The individual must enjoy working in a collaborative environment with undergraduate students, other graduate students and professional staff. Excellent writing, computer and organizational skills are required. Experience working with diverse communities is preferred. Must be able to work some weeknight evenings.
Application deadline: Aug. 16, 2015
Anticipated start date: Sept. 1, 2015
Anticipated end date: May 6, 2015
Hours: 10-12 hours per week, flexible scheduling
Pay: $10,000 total
Interested applicants may apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via email to: Ryan Nilsen, program officer for Student Programs, Carolina Center for Public Service, email@example.com, (919) 843-6829.