To prepare for an APPLES course, consider the timeline below. For specific questions, contact APPLES.
Beginning to think about a course
- Contact APPLES for a consultation.
- Contact potential community partners.
- Review the Service-Learning Series.
- Attend the Course Development Institute.
Service-Learning Designation for a course
- Submit finalized syllabus to the APPLES office for review.
- Alert the APPLES office of the course you intend to teach by Sept. 15 (for spring semester courses) and March 15 (for fall semester courses).
Preparing for the semester
- Submit contact information of community partners to the APPLES office.
- Reconfirm plans with community partners.
Early in the semester
- Require students to complete the APPLES online module at the beginning of the semester.
- Distribute APPLES forms at the beginning of the semester.
- Students select their community partner.
- Students begin volunteering by the third week of class.
- Check-in with community partners monthly.
End of the semester
- Distribute course evaluation to students.
- Complete faculty evaluation.
- Debrief with community partners.