Community partners with growing needs or specialized projects are encouraged apply to participate in the Service-Learning Internship program. Service-learning internships are proposed by community partners and publicized by the APPLES program. Open to full-time undergraduates, these internships offer students the opportunity to participate in a deep and meaningful professional experience while partners work with some of the brightest students at UNC.
A cornerstone of the APPLES Service-Learning Internship program is the stipend. APPLES understands that it can be difficult for nonprofits to incur the costs of paid interns and that it can be equally difficult for students to choose an unpaid internship over a paid spring or summer job. By splitting the costs of the stipend equally with partners, APPLES is able to offer high-impact internships to all undergraduates at reduced cost to community organizations.
Organizations new to partnering with APPLES should contact Leslie Parkins for more information about getting connected. To apply for service-learning interns, complete a profile and fill out an application on the APPLES Partner Portal.
Applications to host a summer intern are open through Nov. 18 in the APPLES Partner Portal.
- Coordinate publicity of internship opportunities.
- Assist with intern selection and ongoing troubleshooting.
- Develop sustainable campus-community partnerships.
- Provide networking opportunities through workshops and seminars.
- Provide half of internship stipend.
Expectations of Community Partners
- Provide intern with orientation to the organization’s mission and goals.
- Complete the partner-student agreement with the intern.
- Provide training, supervision, feedback and resources for the intern. Supervision is an integral part of the internship experience. Site supervisors and interns are required to meet at least one time each week throughout the internship.
- Monitor intern progress and completion of the required hours.
- Complete and submit evaluations of interns and the APPLES Service-Learning program at the completion of the internship.