The Carolina Center for Public Service offers a unique opportunity for selected first-year students to come together with faculty and staff throughout the year to deepen their academic and practical experience in public service during their time at Carolina.
Through a variety of activities, participants learn about existing and emerging opportunities for public service and engagement on and off campus. Getting an early start in the Buckley Public Service Scholars program (BPSS) puts them on a path to leadership within the program as well as on campus more generally.
Components of the First-Year Service Corps:
- An overnight, immersive orientation to BPSS and the First-Year Service Corps (Sept. 25-26)
- Three capacity-building sessions led by faculty, staff, community partners and Carolina Students that are considered skills trainings for the purposes of BPSS
- Exposure to leaders in public service realms including social entrepreneurship, community-based participatory research, advocacy and more
- Participation in a learning community of first-years dedicated to deepening their understanding of service
- Ongoing networking and leadership opportunities within BPSS after program completion
To participate in the 2015-2016 First-Year Service Corps, apply online through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal. Application deadline is Sept.8.
First-year students and transfer students in their first year at Carolina who are enrolled in BPSS are eligible to participate in the First-Year Service Corps. Fall 2015 enrollment for BPSS will take place from Aug. 15 through Sept. 30 through the Buckley Portfolio.
For more information, contact BPSS.