The Carolina Center for Public Service offers a unique opportunity for selected first-year students to come together with faculty and staff throughout the year to deepen their academic and practical experience in public service during their time at Carolina.
Through a variety of activities, participants learn about existing and emerging opportunities for public service and engagement on and off campus. Getting an early start in the Buckley Public Service Scholars program (BPSS) puts them on a path to leadership within the program as well as on campus more generally.
The First-Year Service Corps (FYSC) involves the following program components:
- A retreat and orientation to both FYSC and BPSS on Friday, Oct. 6 and Saturday, Oct. 7.
- Three capacity-building sessions led by faculty, staff, community partners and Carolina students that are considered skills trainings for the purposes of BPSS. The following trainings are planned for fall 2017:
- 10/13 – Developing and articulating a vision, mission and theory of change with Dr. Micah Gilmer of Frontline Solutions and the Department of Public Policy
- 10/27 – Knowing the context of your service: How to learn about a community’s history before engaging in direct service with the Marian Cheek Jackson Center
- 11/10 – Budgets and budgeting as definitions of values with the School of Government
- A commitment to completing at least 60 hours of service in participants’ first year.
- Exposure to leaders in public service realms including social entrepreneurship, community-based participatory research, advocacy and more.
- Participation in a learning community of first-year students dedicated to deepening their understanding of service.
- Ongoing networking and leadership opportunities within BPSS after program completion.
Participation in the First-Year Service Corps requires that students be available to attend the retreat Oct. 6-7 and also between 2 and 5 p.m. on Friday afternoons in the fall 2017 semester. The retreat will start after 2 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 6.
First-year students and transfer students in their first year at Carolina who are enrolled in BPSS are eligible to participate in FYSC. Fall enrollment for BPSS will take place at the beginning of the fall semester through the Buckley Portfolio.
Please note that the FYSC orientation includes an orientation to BPSS. If you plan to apply for the FYSC, you may wish to wait to attend a BPSS orientation until after FYSC participants are selected.
The Carolina Center for Public Service at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for its events and programs. If you need accommodations, please contact BPSS or call 919-843-6829. Every reasonable effort will be made to implement accommodations in an effective and timely manner.