Buckley Public Service Scholars
The Buckley Public Service Scholars program (BPSS) provides a framework for Carolina undergraduate students committed to making a positive impact through service. BPSS challenges participants to expand their understanding of service, connect academic and community-based experiences and build their capacity to help effect change. While completing the program components, participants build portfolios reflecting their learning and unique experiences throughout North Carolina, the nation and the world.
- One orientation session
- 300 hours of public service over your four years at Carolina
- One service-learning course (your choice!)
- Four skills training
- One senior reflection project
Perks of joining
- Special service and learning opportunities
- Notation on your official UNC Chapel Hill transcript
- BPSS graduation ceremony in Memorial Hall
- Certificate with your name
- Unique white and Carolina blue graduation cord
- All undergraduate students with at least four semesters remaining at Carolina can enroll in the Buckley Public Service Scholars program during the enrollment period of each semester. Transfer students must have three semesters remaining to enroll.
- When enrolling, students should sign up for an orientation session or make sure that they will be available for an orientation session the following semester.
- Newly enrolled BPSS participants can begin building their portfolios by logging completed service hours and skills trainings in the semester that they enrolled even before attending an orientation.
Are you a Buckley Public Scholar participant looking for service opportunities, community news and resources for your work? Subscribe to our weekly Public Service Newsletter for all that and more sent straight to your inbox?
The Carolina Center for Public Service at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for its events and programs. If you need accommodations, please contact BPSS or call 919-843-6616. Every reasonable effort will be made to implement accommodations in an effective and timely manner.