Prepare for a Natural Disaster
Whenever disasters strike—in North Carolina, the United States or around the world—Carolina students, faculty and staff immediately ask, “What can we do to help?”
But before responding to the aftermath of a disaster, we must first ask, “What can we do to prepare?”
- For those living on or near campus, be sure your cell phone is registered for Alert Carolina. In an emergency, the University will post safety-related announcements at this website, along with informational updates and other resources. Instructions on how to register for text message alerts are on the Alert Carolina webpage.
- Find practical preparation tips at ready.gov.
- The ReadyNC app is an all-in-one tool to help people prepare for emergency situations. Available for iOS and Android, the app provides real-time updates on storms and weather conditions.
- Hurricane Watch – The N.C. Department of Public Safety provides hourly storm updates.
- You can also track hurricanes via the National Hurricane Center.