Prepare for a Natural Disaster
Whenever disasters strike—in North Carolina, the United States or around the world—Carolina students, faculty and staff immediately ask, “What can we do to help?”
But before responding to the aftermath of a disaster, we must first ask, “What can we do to prepare?”
- For those living on or near campus, be sure your cell phone is registered for Alert Carolina. In an emergency, the University will post safety-related announcements at this website, along with informational updates and other resources. Instructions on how to register for text message alerts are on the Alert Carolina webpage.
- Find practical preparation tips at ready.gov.
- For NC-specific preparation guidance, visit ReadyNC.
- The N.C. Department of Public Safety provides hourly storm updates at Hurricane Watch.
- You can also track hurricanes via the National Hurricane Center.