Since its founding in 1999, the Carolina Center for Public Service has been active in UNC’s response and relief efforts in the aftermath of disasters in North Carolina, the nation and the world. In the wake of devastation, students, faculty and staff at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill stand ready to assist in any way that we can. The Carolina Center for Public Service serves as a resource of disaster relief information. For those looking to assist, volunteer or donate, see information about current disaster relief efforts.
Current UNC disaster relief efforts
In the aftermath of several hurricanes that have recently impacted the United States and the Caribbean, UNC students, faculty and staff are engaged in many ways to assist those affected.
Disaster relief trips
All upcoming relief trips will take place at the UNC Adopt-a-Home in Lumberton, North Carolina
- April 20 to Lumberton, North Carolina
- Since December 2016, the Carolina Center for Public Service has partnered with the North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church (NCCUMC) to support Hurricane Matthew disaster relief efforts in Princeville, Lumberton and Fayetteville, North Carolina. In June, NCCUMC launched its Adopt-a-Home program to help displaced families in Lumberton. Organizational partners are needed to help get families back into their homes by volunteering labor and providing donations to purchase furniture, appliances and home furnishings. For details and to get involved in this effort, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Offices of Graduate Education hurricane relief drive
- The Offices of Graduate Education in the Schools of Pharmacy and Medicine are coordinating a hurricane relief drive for Tar Heel families in the Virgin islands and Puerto Rico. Collection containers are placed throughout Eshelman School of Pharmacy, Kerr Hall and Marsico Hall.
For details and updates, including local disaster-area relief organizations:
- Hurricane Harvey, August 2017, Hurricanes Irma and Maria September 2017 – Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria Disaster Relief
- Hurricane Matthew, October 2016 – Hurricane Matthew Disaster Relief
Additional information will be shared on the Public Service and Engagement at UNC Facebook page and on Twitter @UNCServes. If you are involved in or know about relief efforts for Hurricane Iirma, please send information to the Carolina Center for Public Service at email@example.com so that we can make that information available.
UNC disaster relief fund
Carolina’s Disaster Relief Fund supports Carolina’s response efforts, including future relief trips to affected areas.
- Make a donation to the Disaster Relief Fund (010779).
- UNC students, faculty and staff may submit a request for grant funding from the Disaster Relief Fund to support relief trips and projects. Please use either the disaster relief project grant application or the disaster relief trip grant application. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Send applications as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for how to help
Previous disaster relief efforts
To see ways Carolina students, faculty and staff have helped, visit previous disaster relief efforts.