As communities across North Carolina deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Florence, efforts begin at Carolina to aid in many aspects of recovery. The Carolina Center for Public Service, together with the campus and community partners, is organizing campus-wide relief trips to affected areas. These trips are for UNC staff, faculty and students who are willing to help with clean-up or who have specialized building and repair skills. If you would like to receive updates on future relief trips, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Relief Trips
- Aug. 2, 2019, Lumberton, NC: Register here
- Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Release
- Emergency Contact Information
- CCPS Media Authorization
- CCPS Autorozación por Fotos y Videos
- Return completed forms to email@example.com
Organize a Disaster Relief Trip
Announcement of Relief Trip Grants
This fall’s hurricanes have had a long-term impact on North Carolina and recovery will take years. Students, staff and faculty continue to explore ways to assist in the recovery efforts. Thanks to the generosity of donors, the CCPS has limited funds available to support campus efforts. The grants are up to $1,000 for relief trips organized by UNC-Chapel Hill students, staff or faculty to affected areas.
Students and student organizations must have a faculty or staff adviser submit a statement of support for their trip as a part of the application process. All trip proposals should be in direct response to the hurricane and expressed community need. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis and can be submitted through the Carolina Center for Public Service application portal. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Relief Trip Planning Resources
- Relief Trip Sample Budget and Template
- How-To Guide for Organizing a Relief Trip
- Relief Trip Planning Worksheet
- Disaster Relief Calls for Action
Previous Disaster Relief Trips
Hurricane Florence Relief Trips
- March 15-17, 2019 to Wilmington, NC (UNC Athletics/ACC Partners, funding through CCPS grant)
- March 2, 2019 to Lumberton, NC (Kenan-Flagler MAC program, funding through CCPS grant)
- Feb. 16, 2019 to Red Springs, NC (Curriculum in Global Studies, funded through CCPS grant)
- Nov. 17, 2018 to Lumberton, NC (sponsored by APPLES Service-Learning)
- Oct. 27, 2018 to Lumberton, NC (sponsored by APPLES Service-Learning)
- Oct. 19, 2018 to Pollocksville, NC
- Oct. 6, 2018 to Lumberton, NC
Hurricane Matthew Relief Trips
- Dec. 9, 2016 to Tarboro, NC
- Dec. 16, 2016 to Garland, NC
- Jan. 27, 2017 to Lumberton, NC
- March 17, 2017 to Princeville, NC
- April 21, 2017 to Fayetteville, NC
- May 19, 2017 to Lumberton, NC
- Oct. 6, 2017 to Lumberton, NC
- Nov. 4, 2017 to Lumberton, NC (sponsored by APPLES Service-Learning)
- Dec. 1, 2017 to Lumberton, NC
- Feb. 24, 2018 to Lumberton, NC (hosted by APPLES Service-Learning)
- March 2, 2018 to Lumberton, NC
- April 20, 2018 to Lumberton, NC
- Since December 2016, the Carolina Center for Public Service has partnered with the North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church (NCCUMC) to support Hurricane Matthew disaster relief efforts in Princeville, Lumberton and Fayetteville, North Carolina. In June, NCCUMC launched its Adopt-a-Home program to help displaced families in Lumberton. Organizational partners are needed to help get families back into their homes by volunteering labor and providing donations to purchase furniture, appliances and home furnishings. For details and to get involved in this effort, contact email@example.com.
Thank you to The Home Depot at Patterson Place on Mount Moriah Road in Durham for helping with supplies for disaster relief trips.
The Carolina Center for Public Service at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for its events and programs. If you need accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-843-7568. Every reasonable effort will be made to implement accommodations in an effective and timely manner.