The Hyatt Rotary Public Service Award is given annually in support of innovative public service projects that exemplify the motto of Rotary International, “Service above Self.” The award, sponsored by the Chapel Hill Rotary Club, is named for the late Dr. Ronald W. Hyatt, professor of Exercise and Sport Science at UNC-Chapel Hill and long-time member of the Chapel Hill Rotary Club, in recognition of his distinguished career at the University and his commitment to helping others. The Carolina Center for Public Service administers this award.
Two awards will be given this year, one (up to $3,000) for an international project and one (up to $2,000) for a local project. If the local project involves members of the Chapel Hill Rotary Club in some way, there is a possibility of additional funds.
2013 award recipient
- Undergraduate or graduate students at the UNC-Chapel Hill, individually or in teams
- Recognized UNC-Chapel Hill student organizations
- Applicants must be continuing their studies at UNC-Chapel Hill in the fall 2013 semester.
Applications can be submitted online through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal and should include the following:
- A justification of need and a description of how the service you will provide or the project you will complete adds to or complements what is already available;
- A concise description of the project and how you will carry it out, including a description of the personnel involved;
- Specific outcomes and how you will measure them;
- An estimate of the impact of the project and the likelihood that the project will continue after the award period has ended;
- An approximate timeline you will follow; and
- A project budget that does not request more than $3,000 if international and $2,000 if local and describes the sources and amounts of any other funding.
If the project will be conducted in cooperation with or receive financial or other support from a governmental agency or private sector organization, applicants are asked to submit a letter of commitment from each such agency, which can be uploaded with the application.
- Nov. 12: Applications available
- March 8: Applications due
- Feb. 15: Selection