Faculty & Staff Awards & Funding
- $5,000 grant to support the development of new or modifying existing courses
- UNC-Chapel Hill faculty members, adjunct faculty members or graduate instructors teaching undergraduate, graduate or professional student courses are eligible to apply
- Proposals must successfully integrate community-based service into the curriculum and promote the pedagogy of service-learning at UNC.
Service-Learning Course Enhancement Grant
- Up to $500 awarded to APPLES faculty every semester
- For course development materials or support required for APPLES service-learning courses
- Past course enhancement grants funded supplies for a community cooking class, a field trip to a nuclear reactor and computer software to assist with community-based research.
Established in 2004, the Teaching Excellence Award honors a faculty member who integrates service experiences into the academic curriculum while inspiring students to make significant contributions in the community and the classroom. Recipients of the Teaching Excellence Award have been involved with the APPLES Service-Learning program, demonstrated a sustained commitment to service-learning and are dedicated to positive community impact through service.
The Ned Brooks Award recognizes a staff or faculty member of the UNC-Chapel Hill community who, throughout their career, has made a difference in the larger community in a collaborative and sustained manner.
The Office of the Provost Engaged Scholarship Award recognizes faculty members or university units for exemplary engaged scholarship in service to the state of North Carolina. Their service serves as an example of excellence, including responsiveness to community concerns and strong community partnerships. Three Provost awards will be given, one each for engaged teaching, engaged research and engaged partnership.
Four Robert E. Bryan Public Service Awards are given for a specific effort (rather than an overall record) exemplifying outstanding engagement and service to the state of North Carolina. Bryan Awards recognize an outstanding undergraduate student, graduate student, staff member and officially recognized student organization.