The Buckley Public Service Scholars program (BPSS) provides a framework for Carolina undergraduate students committed to making a positive impact through service. BPSS challenges participants to expand their understanding of service, connect academic and community-based experiences and build their capacity to help effect change. While completing the program components, participants build portfolios reflecting their learning and unique experiences throughout North Carolina, the nation and the world.
Since 2003, BPSS has connected students with similar interests and provided special opportunities for leadership development and community engagement.
- Applications are currently being accepted for the SMART Mentoring program. To apply, visit the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal. Applications are due March 9. An information session will be held 7-8 p.m. March 5 in the Student Union, suite 3514. For questions, contact email Natasha Vos.
- See photos from the December Buckley Public Service Scholar graduation and read about Palestine Small’s experience with service.
- Read about the 2013 graduating class of Buckley Public Service Scholars.
BPSS strengthens the culture of service and engagement at UNC-Chapel Hill by:
- Challenging students to increase the breadth and depth of their involvement in North Carolina communities and beyond
- Fostering connections between the University, its students and the community
- Promoting student participation in varying dimensions of public service: direct, organizational and policy
- Developing students’ capacity for engaging in their communities in meaningful ways
Throughout their time in BPSS, students build a Buckley Portfolio that tracks their progress in completing the program components and their own public service goals. This is where they enter and organize information such as the service hours they have completed, service-learning courses they have taken and skills trainings they have attended. Participants are able to print a summary of their Buckley Portfolio at any point throughout their participation in the program and also as they graduate.
For questions about the Buckley Portfolio, contact BPSS.