APPLES Service-Learning is a student-led program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill that transforms educational experiences by connecting academic learning and public service. Since 1990, APPLES has strengthened civic engagement by bringing together students, faculty and communities in sustained and mutually beneficial partnerships.
APPLES offers a variety of programs, including alternative breaks, service-learning initiative, internships, courses and fellowships.
Announcements and deadlines
- Applications for SLI Engage are now open through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal until March 3. All current undergraduate students are eligible to apply for this weekend service-learning experience. SLI Engage will take place March 31 – April 2, 2017.
- APPLES is currently accepting proposals for service-learning-course-development grants from faculty and instructors to develop new or modify existing courses that successfully integrate community-based service into the curriculum. Apply through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal by Feb. 24.
- Community partners are invited to attend the next Community Partner Orientation on February 28 from 9:30-11 a.m. Please register here and contact Becca Bender with any questions.
- Each fall, students and community partners connected to an APPLES Service-Learning course are eligible to apply for a partnership grant. Applications are accepted online through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal.
- APPLES Service-Learning awards course enhancement grants of up to $500 every semester. Rolling applications are accepted online through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal.
- Students enrolled in APPLES classes should complete the online module.
- View the spring 2017 course listing.
APPLES General Body
The APPLES general body (AGB) provides UNC students an opportunity to participate in service-learning without applying for a formal APPLES program. The general body meets throughout the semester to host programs and events for students to network, increase the conversation of service-learning on UNC’s campus, and to provide leadership opportunities to undergraduates. Any student, regardless of their experience with APPLES, is encouraged to join the general body. Information about upcoming events can be found on the APPLES Service-Learning Facebook page.
Examples of events include:
- A habitat build
- Former APPLES alumni speakers about service about college
- Service days at local community gardens
- Documentary screening
An Alternative Spring Break 2016
Sally-Irene Ngeve could have spent her spring break almost anywhere. But the Carolina senior chose not to relax on a beach all week, wander around a quieter Chapel Hill or head back home to Cameroon to visit her family. Read more