APPLES Service-Learning is a student-led program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill that transforms educational experiences by connecting academic learning and public service. Since 1990, APPLES has strengthened civic engagement by bringing together students, faculty and communities in sustained and mutually beneficial partnerships.
APPLES offers a variety of programs, including alternative breaks, service-learning initiative, internships, courses and fellowships.
Announcements and deadlines
- 9/19 – 2016 APPLES Alternative Fall Break applications are open Aug. 23 – Sept. 19. Apply online through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal.
- 10/6 – 2017 APPLES spring internship applications are open Sept. 14 – Oct. 6. Apply through the APPLES Service-Learning Program Portal. For questions, contact Becca Bender.
- 10/20 – 2017 Bryan Fellowship applications are open. Apply online through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal by Oct. 20.
- Each fall, students and community partners connected to an APPLES Service-Learning course are eligible to apply for a partnership grant. Applications are accepted online through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal.
- APPLES Service-Learning awards course enhancement grants of up to $500 every semester. Rolling applications are accepted online through the CCPS Application and Nomination Portal.
- Students enrolled in APPLES classes should complete the online module.
- View the fall 2016 course listing.
An Alternative Spring Break 2016
Sally-Irene Ngeve could have spent her spring break almost anywhere. But the Carolina senior chose not to relax on a beach all week, wander around a quieter Chapel Hill or head back home to Cameroon to visit her family. Read more